If you are having any difficulty using this website, please contact the Help Desk at Help@nullHofstra.edu or 516-463-7777 or Student Access Services at SAS@nullhofstra.edu or 516-463-7075. Please identify the webpage address or URL and the specific problems you have encountered and we will address the issue.

Veterans Benefits

Veterans Benefits

Veterans Benefits

Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces may be eligible for education benefits depending on their length of service, category of service and dates of service.

The programs are quite numerous and are detailed at the website www.gibill.va.gov. You may also call 1-888-442-4551 for additional details.

The GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. More information about education benefits offered by the VA is available at the official U.S. government website www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

New York State Vietnam or Persian Gulf Veteran's Awards may be made for full- or part-time study to veterans of these two wars who are New York State residents. Detailed information is available.

Applications for Veteran Affairs Education Benefits are certified by the Law School Registrar’s Office. Please contact lawregistrar@hofstra.edu for further information on this process.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Hofstra Law is proud to be a part of the new GI Bill®, formally known as the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program. Through this program, the Law School is able to fund tuition expenses for veterans (and their dependents) who have served the United States in Afghanistan and Iraq following the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Listed below is some general program information from the VA’s website. You may also visit the VA’s website for more details.

What Is the Yellow Ribbon Program?

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008.

This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree-granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate.

The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses, and the VA will match the same amount as the institution.

Who Is Eligible?

Only individuals entitled to the maximum benefit rate (based on service requirements) may receive this funding. Therefore, you may be eligible if:

  • You served an aggregate period of active duty after Sept. 10, 2001, of at least 36 months.

  • You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001;

  • You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria listed above.

How Do I Apply for Benefits Under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®?

The Department of Veterans Affairs is now accepting and processing applications for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. You should complete and submit the application form available online and will receive written notification explaining the VA’s decision regarding your eligibility for the program.

If you are eligible, your Certificate of Eligibility will also advise you if your service meets the requirements for the Yellow Ribbon Program.

You should take your Certificate of Eligibility to Hofstra and ask us to certify your enrollment to the VA, including Yellow Ribbon.

You cannot certify your participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program directly to the VA. Hofstra must report this information on your enrollment certification.

Remember, to receive benefits under the Yellow Ribbon Program:

  • You must be eligible for the maximum benefit rate under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, the Yellow Ribbon Program.

  • Hofstra must not have offered Yellow Ribbon to more than the maximum number of individuals stated in the participation agreement.

  • Hofstra must certify your enrollment to the VA, including Yellow Ribbon Program information.