Class of 2010

Within nine months of graduation, 96 percent (339 out of 352) of the class of 2010 had reported their employment status to the Office of Career Services. Of those 339 members of the class of 2010 for whom we have employment information, approximately 91 percent (321) were employed. This figure includes all employment positions at nine months, including some temporary positions, part-time positions, self-employment, positions that do not require a J.D. and positions funded by the Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University.

Employment Breakdown by Area

For the 321 members of the class of 2010 for whom employment data were obtained, the breakdown by area of employment, in full-time and part-time positions and in legal and nonlegal positions, was as follows:

Law Firms: 162 (50.4%)
Business & Industry: 71 (22.1%)
Government: 34 (10.6%)
Public Interest: 15 (4.7%)
Judicial Clerkships: 5 (1.6%)
Academia: 31 (9.7%)
Unknown: 3 (0.9%)
 
Employed Full Time: 226 (70.4%)
Employed Part Time: 67 (20.9%)
Unknown Status: 28 (8.7%)
 
Employed Long Term: 225 (70.1%)
Employed Short Term: 70 (21.8%)
Unknown Status: 26 (8.1%)
 
Positions Funded by
Hofstra Law:
27 (8.4%)

Employment Distribution by Size of Law Firm

For the 162 members of the class of 2010 who reported that they were employed by a law firm, the breakdown by size of law firm was as follows:

2-10 Attorneys: 82 (50.6%)
11-25 Attorneys: 21 (12.9%)
26-50 Attorneys: 8 (4.9%)
51-100 Attorneys: 8 (4.9%)
101-250 Attorneys: 2 (1.2%)
251-500 Attorneys: 5 (3.1%)
501+ Attorneys: 13 (8.0%)
Solo Practice: 7 (4.3%)
Unknown Size: 16 (9.9%)

Salary Ranges

Salary statistics are self-reported voluntarily by the graduates and are based on a 30 percent response rate (105 out of 321).

The salary ranges for the 105 members of the class of 2010 who reported salary information were as follows. These figures may not reflect the salaries for those graduates who did not report.

      Private Sector

  • Median Salary for Full-Time Employment: $75,000
  • 75th Percentile Salary for Full-Time Employment: $120,000
  • 25th Percentile Salary for Full-Time Employment: $56,000

      Public Sector

  • Median Salary for Full-Time Employment: $54,500
  • 75th Percentile Salary for Full-Time Employment: $80,000
  • 25th Percentile Salary for Full-Time Employment: $50,000

For the 105 members of the class of 2010 for whom we have both employment information and salary data, the starting salary ranges for these graduates employed in law firms based on the size of the law firm were as follows:

Size of Firm 25th Percentile 75th Percentile Average Median
2-10 Attorneys: $50,000 $65,000 $58,500 $53,500
11-25 Attorneys: $30,000 $120,000 76,460 $75,000
26-50 Attorneys: Insufficient Data Insufficient Data Insufficient Data Insufficient Data
51-100 Attorneys: $60,000 $120,000 $86,833 $75,500
101-250 Attorneys: Insufficient Data Insufficient Data Insufficient Data Insufficient Data
251-500 Attorneys: $73,000 $160,000 $110,600 $90,000
501+ Attorneys: $160,000 $160,000 $157,692 $160,000

Geographic Distribution

For the 321 members of the class of 2010 for whom we have employment information, approximately 87 percent accepted employment in New York and New Jersey. The remaining 13 percent accepted employment in 18 states across the country, including California, Florida, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Texas, as well as the District of Columbia.
 
Taking all Hofstra Law alumni into account, approximately 25 percent reside outside New York, and we have alumni in 45 states and 11 foreign countries.

The economy, including the legal economy, is constantly changing, and employment for past classes is not an accurate predictor of employment for future classes. In addition, a law degree from Hofstra Law or any other law school is not a guarantee of employment in the legal field.