Withdrawing and Academic Leave

Withdrawing and Academic Leave

How do I withdraw from the Law School if I need to leave before I’ve completed the degree program?

The Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University has developed a procedure for withdrawing from the Law School without completing a program. For more information, please review the withdrawal procedure.

If I take an academic leave, do I have to begin repayment of my loans?

Not immediately. The Federal Direct loan has a grace period of six months and the Federal Perkins loan has a grace period of nine months before repayment begins. Most commercial loan programs also have a nine-month grace period. Federal Direct GradPLUS loans and Federal Direct Consolidation do not have a grace period and repayment begins immediately (however, students may qualify for a deferment or forbearance to temporarily relieve him of his payment responsibility at that time). Therefore, when you take a leave of absence, you may not have to begin to repay your loan until the end of the grace period. If you re-enroll in school at least half-time prior to the end of the loan’s grace period, you will not enter repayment as long as you ensure that your lender knows you have re-enrolled.

Will I lose my scholarship when I return from leave?

When you return from leave, your scholarship will be reinstated under the same terms as the agreement you signed.

Hofstra Law

121 Hofstra University

Hempstead, NY 11549-1210

Map | Directions

Phone Information

tel: 516-463-5858

fax: 516-463-1017


Email Information